Wednesday, February 17, 2010

C is for Cisneros, Sandra

I was very excited when I went to the library to choose my C book. I had read reviews of several books by Sandra Cisneros and really wanted to read her. When I got to the library, they were out of most of the books I'd read about, but they did have "Caramelo." This book was nothing at all like I expected, but it was a fantastic read.

Before my review, let's tackle one issue you might have with the novel. There is a pretty good amount of Spanish spoken. Some of the Spanish is translated for you, but quite a bit is not. I have a rudimentary grasp on the language and could make out most of the phrases, but if you don't speak any Spanish you might want a Spanish-English dictionary to understand everything. Of course, you can just skip over the Spanish phrases and get the gist of the book. I personally loved the addition of the Spanish phrases because it lent such an authentic flavor to the novel.

In "Caramelo" Sandra Cisneros takes us inside the Mexican culture of the 1950's and '60's. Now, I grew up in Texas and I thought I knew something about Mexican culture. While I knew what a telenovela was and could tell you the difference between a tamal and an enchilada, my knowledge was nothing near what I thought it was. There is a huge difference in Mexico Mexican culture and Tex-Mex culture. Both are beautiful, bold and strong, but they are quite different.

"Caramelo" is the story of the Reyes family of Mexico City, Chicago and San Antonio. It's told by Lala, the only daughter of Inocencio Reyes and his wife Zoila. The novel doesn't read like other novels in that it's a book of short stories that flow together, rather than an ongoing narrative. While each story is self-contained, they all do feed off each other. Sandra Cisneros has a beautiful style of writing. The writing is very colorful, exciting and sometimes a bit disjointed, but very endearing. You can see the bright colored houses of Mexico City. You smell the meats and fruits and sometimes terrible smells of a bustling Mexican city. Cisneros writing is very lyrical and you can almost sing along with some of her phrasing. You find yourself in the mind and heart of a young girl then teenager. For those of us who remember those thoughts and feelings, it's a beautiful reminder.

Mexican culture revolves around family and that is exactly the point of "Caramelo." Family is everything to Inocencio Reyes. His mother, the Awful Grandmother, is the center of all life and that is just fine for her but not for Inocencio's wife and daughter. The Awful Grandmother makes herself heard both in life and death. She wants nothing less than the complete and total love of her oldest son, Inocencio. To that end, she makes life less than perfect for the other females in the family. Lala must grow up with that pressure and pain and learn how to deal with it and how to love while not always feeling loved. Other characters you meet along the journey include the Little Grandfather, Uncle Fat Face, Uncle Baby, Aunty Light-Skin and Lala's 6 older brothers.

There are great surprises in "Caramelo" and wonderful lessons to be learned. Readers will enjoy the twists, turns and travels. The format takes a bit of getting used to, but it becomes a pleasure. I enjoyed the historic lessons. I learned a great deal about Mexican history and how that history plays into the Mexican way of life today. Check out "Caramelo" and be ready to be entertained and educated. This was the first time I'd read Sandra Cisneros, but I know I will be back.

2 comments:

  1. Kelly - Enjoyed all of your posts. As an avid reader of mostly historical novels, I really enjoy a gothic novel occasionnaly and also, novels that really describes local culture. AS for a great gothic novel, you should decide for your "S" book, The Thirteenth Tale by Diane Setterfield. There is a good review of it at http://www.mostlyfiction.com/mystery/setterfield.html, but only read the first three paragraphs. The reviewer tells too much of the story for my taste.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I will write that one down for my "S" book! Thanks so much for reading. I'm really enjoying this project. It has made me get out of my reading comfort zone.

    ReplyDelete