Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Q is for Quinn

Here we are at the letter Q. I was not at all surprised to find one small shelf of books by authors whose last name started with Q. I don't think I know many people with Q names. I was thrilled to find a wonderful book by a Q author. For the letter Q, let me introduce to you "Ishmael" by Daniel Quinn.

When I first read the inside cover I was a bit amused. This is the story of a gorilla who talks with people telepathically. Yep, sounds like a laugh a minute, right. Wrong. "Ishmael" is a book for someone who truly wants to think. If you're looking for a good beach read or something to wile away the time with, this is probably not for you. Now, I'll be honest, I wasn't exactly looking for a great think when I picked up this book. I'm back in school now and I do plenty of thinking reading textbooks and writing papers. I kind of hoped that "Ishmael" was going to be a funny talking gorilla. At the end of the book, I'm so glad that he wasn't.

The novel opens with our narrator finding a strange ad in the newspaper. The ad says "TEACHER seeks pupil. Must have an earnest desire to save the world. Apply in person." That would make me think twice. Today, you'd almost expect to see an ad like that somewhere on Craigslist. Our narrator decides that he must reply, so he shows up at the address, which is just your generic, low-rent office building. Inside the office, he sees a big glass wall and behind that wall sits a half-ton gorilla. As he exchanges glances with the gorilla, he realizes that the gorilla is talking to him in his mind. Ishmael, the gorilla tells the narrator that he, in fact, is the teacher. At this point, Quinn, our narrator, considers leaving, much like most of us would, I'm sure. He stays though to hear what the gorilla has to say.

Ishmael is a wonderful, knowledgeable teacher who talks to Quinn about the ramifications today's culture could have on the earth. Ishmael goes back to the beginning with his story. He basis his teachings on the clash between the two groups he calls the "Leavers" and the "Takers." Through his teachings he gets Quinn to see that the belief by man that they are the reason the earth was ever formed is doing great harm to the earth. Now, this is not just some tree-hugger book, it gets down to the nitty-gritty of ecology and sociology. Quinn makes the reader take a closer look at the culture of modern man and at their own life. I loved his theory of Cain and Abel. While I do believe in the literal telling of Biblical stories, I loved how he used the two brothers to show the attack of the Takers on the Leavers. It gave me a new perspective on ancient and Biblical history.

"Ishmael" was not an easy book to read. The first few times I picked it up, I read only a few pages at a time. I think I was still waiting on my funny gorilla to show up. Ishmael the gorilla and "Ishmael" the novel made me think. If you are ready to face your own beliefs head on and figure out why you believe what you do, "Ishmael" is a great tool to use. Reading this novel can help you firm up your beliefs while also tearing down others. Whoever thought that a book about a talking gorilla could have me taking a closer look at how my country is run and what I can do to make it run better?

Read "Ishmael" if you have an open mind. Read "Ishmael" is you have never taken the time to question why you do what you do and why you believe what you believe. Read "Ishmael" if you are ready to be challenged. Read "Ishmael" if you are ready to think.

No comments:

Post a Comment