Tuesday, August 17, 2010

S is for Sharpe

There are many, many writers with a last name starting with "S." I knew this would be a tough one to choose and I'm honestly not sure I made the right choice. This is not the first time I've chosen a book based on title or cover design, and it likely won't be the last. I will admit that I chose this book almost entirely because the cover photo has a Corgi. Yep, I'm a sucker for a dog. So, for better or worse, let me present to you my "S" book, As Good As It Got by Isabel Sharpe.

I actually really liked the premise of this book. Several women who had suffered a great loss gathered together at a therapeutic camp in Maine. The book focuses on three of the campers: Ann, whose husband took his own life, Cindy, who lost her marriage to a string of mistresses and Martha, whose one true love is lying in a coma on the verge of death. I am somewhat of a feminist and love reading about strong, powerful women taking control of their lives, but I think even I would have been turned off by Camp Kinsonu. There are only so many times a person needs to hear the song "I am woman" before they want to jump into an icy Maine lake.

Of the three primary characters, I liked Ann and Martha. Cindy is whiny, needy and so convinced that her cheating husband will come home once again when he realizes he just can't live without her. It's not that easy to like Ann, but in the end, I couldn't help it. She's tough and very honest. She says what she's thinking and that doesn't set well with all the campers, especially during group therapy sessions. Ann has a great deal to overcome when she arrives at Camp Kinsonu. It was only after her husband killed himself that she discovers he had lost all their money, their house and their financial future. Not surprisingly, Ann is bitter. Her journey at camp will see her realize that the high life she and Paul were living was not living at all. She will come a very long way in a very short time. My other favorite was Martha, who came to the camp when her long-time secret love suffers a stroke and ends up in a coma. Martha has spent her adult life waiting for her politician lover to give up his pretty wife and children and realize that it's her he truly loves. Martha feels she doesn't fit in with the other campers. She is the token fat girl. She is eccentric and feels very alone.

See, the premise sounds good. The delivery was not so great. Camp Kinsonu is supposed to be a professionally run, therapeutic camp, but it comes across as more like high school. The inclusion of the allegedly gay male worker is a poor reflection on professional therapy. Hopefully, a real camp like this would actually check out the stories of their workers. The fourth member of Ann's cabin just doesn't fit in at all. A peripheral character should stay on the periphery, not be thrown into so many scenes. Perhaps I was taking the book too seriously. Based on the outline, I was expecting something more thought-provoking, not a beach read. There were some great moments in this novel. There were times when the women really looked deep inside and discovered what they were made of, but those moments were few compared with the fluff.

If you are looking for a fun, quick read with some laugh out loud moments and a few moments of empathy and reflection, I think you'll enjoy "As Good As It Got." If you are looking for a deep look at the problems of women and how they fight to overcome them, keep looking. Isabel Sharpe paints a beautiful picture of summer time in Maine. Camp Kinsonu is a great idea that falls short of it's potential. Maybe that's what Sharpe was aiming for.

I recommend "As Good As It Got" for those looking for a fun read. I recommend it for those who want to laugh a bit and maybe tear up a bit. I do wish the dog on the cover was more than just a memory for one of my least favorite campers. Next time I need a beach read, I might pick up another of Sharpe's books. If I'm looking for something a bit more thought-provoking, I'll pass her by.

No comments:

Post a Comment